This lasagne is quick clean and green – it celebrates all the green goodness plus healthy fats and a blast of calcium all in one dish.
Prep time: 25 minutes | Cooking time: 50 minutes – V, GF
What you need:
- 3 zucchini
- 1 eggplant
- 230 g (1 cup) ricotta
- 200 g feta
- 150 g (1½ cups) grated pecorino
- 1 teaspoon spirulina powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 125 ml (½ cup) kefir
- 60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- 90 g (2 cups) baby spinach
- 1 large kale leaf, stem discarded, chopped
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon grated pecorino
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- Slice the zucchini lengthways into 5 mm-thick strips and the eggplant into 5 mm-thick rounds.
- Place the ricotta, fetta, 1 cup (100 g) pecorino, spirulina, basil, garlic and kefir in a bowl and combine well.
- Pour the olive oil over the base of a baking dish about xx cm x xx cm. Cover the base with half the eggplant and season with salt. Spread with half the cheese mixture, then cover with the half the spinach leaves, followed by half the zucchini. Repeat the layers. Bake for 40 minutes or until cooked through and bubbling.
- Meanwhile, combine all the kale topping ingredients in a bowl.
- Remove from the oven and increase the temperature to 250˚C. Top the lasagne with the kale mixture, the bake for another 10 minutes or until the kale is crisp. Serve warm.
Note: Add spirulina for that extra green boost – spirulina is a rich source of plant pigments, hence the dark green colour. It is full of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, amino acids and is also rich in easily digested iron. I love using spirulina in so many ways – as well as this dish it goes in dips, cakes and smoothies, adding that extra boost of nutrients.