This is a naughty but nice kind of treat and it’s no wonder that it’s on our bestsellers list week after week! The creaminess from the tahini adds real caramel flavour.
Prep time: 25 minutes, plus 45 minutes freezing | Cooking time: Nil – V, VG, GF, DF & RAW
Makes 12 pieces.
What you need:
- 160g (1 cup) pitted dates
- 440g (2 & 3/4 cups) almond kernels
- 1/2 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- 205g (3/4 cup) tahini
- 250ml (1 cup) pure maple syrup
- 125ml (1/2 cup) melted coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons natural vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 80g (3/54 cup) cacao powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons carob powder
- 250ml (1 cup) melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons tinned coconut milk
To make the base, put all of the ingredients into a blender with 2 tablespoons of water and blend until coarsely chopped. Turn the mixture into a lightly greased 34 x 24cm baking tin and press down with the palm of your hand until the mixture covers the base of the tin in an even layer.
To make the caramel layer, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and stir until smooth. Pour into the tin over the base and freeze for 15 minutes or until set.
To make the topping, put all of the ingredients in a bowl and stir until well combined. Pour into the tin over the caramel layer and return to the freezer for another 30 minutes or until set. Cut into 12 pieces.
This slice will keep for about 3 weeks in an airtight container in the fridge 🙂
NOTE: Dates are a sweet substitute for sugar and as they are easily digested, they make a great afternoon snack. Try them with almond butter or peanut butter!